The Calgary Flames are pursuing Buffalo Sabres center Dylan Cozens as part of their search for a right-shot center, according to NHL insider Pierre LeBrun.
However, making a deal for the 23-year-old remains a challenge. LeBrun revealed their interest in TSN's "Insider Trading" on Tuesday, while also acknowledging that Buffalo is not actively looking to trade their young center, but simply listening to offers for him.
“I don’t know if they have the pieces to make a deal work,” LeBrun said. “I don’t think (Sabres general manager) Kevyn Adams is actually shopping Dylan Cozens.”
Cozens, currently in the second year of a seven-year, $49.7 million contract, has 10 goals and 16 assists through 53 games this season.
Even though Buffalo’s performance has fallen short once again, the team sits in last place, and the franchise is poised to miss the postseason for the 14th consecutive season, Adams is only listening to offers rather than actively seeking a trade.
“He’s taking calls because Buffalo is in last place and he has to take calls,” LeBrun said. “But if he moves Dylan Cozens, who is signed to a long-term deal, it’s going to have to be apples for apples, not just a futures (draft picks and prospects) deal.”
Calgary general manager Craig Conroy recently confirmed that acquiring a right-shot center remains a priority.
Speaking during "Hockey Night in Canada" on Saturday (h/t The Fourth Period), Conroy emphasized the team’s need for a long-term addition at the center position, particularly a "right-shot" pivot.
“I’ve talked about it since the Draft last year—still a priority, just haven’t been able to find one,” Conroy said.
Cozens fits that profile and has drawn league-wide interest, but as LeBrun highlighted, Buffalo is unlikely to part with him without receiving NHL-ready players in return.
“Two-thirds of the league have checked in with Buffalo and Dylan Cozens,” LeBrun added. “He’s a name that fits into what Calgary is planning long-term.”